Monday, September 7, 2009

Target, Wichita Kansas, West Maple July 3rd, 2009

A little late getting this one up here but hey why not. I don't want people to think I am just disgruntled with one particular Wichita establishment or their service! People overall need a little training in business etiquette and im beginning to think service etiquette should be a 1 semester class offered to 2nd semester sophomores and first semester freshmen in american public schools. Come to think of it a little service etiquette should be required for the telephone operators hired by western companies who farm their call centers to oh... India?

To get to the this tale of shame let me back up by saying I used to love going to Target. Clean stores, no "Wal-creatures."

(Linking this because the actual site appears down) http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/04/people-of-walmart-some-of-you-should-look-in-the-mirror-before-you-walk-out-the-door/

What my wife and I did notice however, was easily spending $50 more at Target than we would have spent for the exact same items going to K-mart, Walmart, and the local (tho equally crass and crappy Dillons stores).

Anyhow a week before the 4th of July my mom is down helping out as my Dad is on business overseas and I was taking an awesome summer writing institute. Everyone gets on me for burning food one night on the grill so after 8 years it is deemed time to retire the old one.

Knowing the 4th is coming up I want to get one when they have their deals (usually the 1st-3rd of July). We go to a target and see a model from the flier for $150 but we see another one for 200 that is literally 10 times the grill the $150 model is. I say "yeah its probably at Walmart for 180.

The 3rd of July I go to Walmart out on Maize Road in Northwest Wichita and sure enough its 20 dollars cheaper but the General Manager had called all the Wally Worlds and advised their floor clerks to "go ahead and assemble" all the grills. I dont have a full on pickup, I have a small SUV. The box would fit but a fully assembled grill will not. I photo the price of the grill at Walmart and high tail it over to Target with my 6 year old daughter in tow.

Once there I find a sales associate and ask her if they price match. She says flatly NOT. I find this odd as I remember seeing Gregg Stienhafel (CEO of Target) on some news service talking about how Target had to compete with Walmart and Kmart and change perceptions of its prices.

In fact you can see an article talking about it here from the Wall Street Journal:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124208790239908945.html

That was in May so it was pretty fresh in my mind.

The Rundown: Exact same make and model, Target's cost is $20 more than Walmarts but Target's is in the box. Logic would dictate the "constructed" item would cost more due to labor? Thats how most things work. Kits are cheaper than finished products.

Target: Does NOT price match. Thats what the sales associate tells me. I'm cool. I ask to talk to the store manager. A lady comes up. She claims to be THE store manager. The Ultimo Jefe if you will. I make mention of Mr. Steinhafel's claims of being more competitive. I ask her if she is willing to price match. She tells me no. She won't price match. It isn't company policy.

What? We get on the record saying we need to reach more customers and show that we are as competitive price wise but we dont price match. She says "We shop the other stores prices, then bring ours down accordingly.' I was like well look at my mobile, I "shopped" Walmart for you and its $20 less. Bring the price down.

She says "sorry we cant help you." I point out that we spend an average of $100 a month at their store and if thats really the final answer I can shop Walmart, Kmart, and Dillons for the same stuff and probably save the money but we like Target and would hate to do that, is this really your final answer on the matter, there is no "Manager discount" to make me a happy customer?

She says "well shop there if you want to, have a nice day."

I'm cool with that. Annoyed but policy is policy. Policy just shot a whole in Mr. Steinhafel's claim at his meeting with Target stores investors in May. What happened next blows me away.

This manager walks over to her "Team Members" hooks a thumb and a glance in my direction (while I am getting ready to leave with my daughter), says something to them, and they all start laughing at us. Yep. Mocking the "guests" is how we roll at Target on West Maple.

SO I go buy the last grill in the box at a different Walmart. I'm annoyed they wont price match but I am OFFENDED by her attitude and her decision to have a laugh at the stupid "guest" in front of his kid.

In this economy is anyone's employment THAT set in stone that they can afford to do this? Well... evidently at Target they can. I called their customer service line when I got home with my new grill and got to spend a good half hour on the phone with a "service rep" from you guessed it... India. I know right away this guy isn't going to help me. Nobody is at work in Target corporate of America on July 3rd. They got the day off. Nobody bothered calling me back.

I decided I'd throw this one out to the web for starters. Next I'm going to try and find Mr. Steinhafel's email and CC this blog to him, since I am sure he never heard a word of it.

How's that for customer service?

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment